Monday, September 5, 2011

Ready for a Ragnar?

Someone requested that Natalie and I write a few things about prepping for a Ragnar (none running suggestions).  Here's my 2 cents:

  1. You do not need two pairs of running shoes.  Unless you are planning on running through water on your first or second leg.  One pair of shoes will be sufficient.
  2. Take a pair of comfy shoes to wear in between runs.  You do not want to wear your running shoes the entire time.  If you're not out pounding the pavement then sport your flip-flops
  3. Take a change of clothes for each run if possible:  3 shirts, 3 shorts, 3 pairs of socks, 3 changes of underwear.  Now, I have gotten away with less but it never feels bad to start out in fresh clothes.
  4. Take one of those uber large zip lock bags and throw your dirty smelly sweaty clothes in them after your done with each leg, it locks in the smell and keeps the rest of the van from having to smell you :D
  5. Cut your toenails as short as you can before you run.  This is just a good idea to do in general.  Running makes your feet nasty, but keeping your nails uber short will help keep your tonails on your toes.
  6. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!  Drink as much as you can before, during, and after the race.  I personally like to alternate between water and gatoraide.  But drink whatever will keep you hydrated.  This is especially important during the hot legs.  I stroked out during my first Ragnar while running my first leg.  It was a nightmare and I was not hydrated enough
  7. If it's hot, run wet.  Have your teammates drench you in cold water before, during and after your legs.  I found this to be particularly helpful (I get hot super easily and anything to cool me off was greatly appreciated).
  8. Food:
    1. Sweet and salty.  It's amazing how much you don't eat and how much you eat all at the same time.  Things like trail mix, salami (one of my teammates was obsessed with this), sugar candy (jelly beans and gummy bears are great to eat while you're out running), chocolate, crackers, bananas, peanut butter, bagels, nutella, jam, whatever you like to eat.  It's personal preference but I always do better if I skip meals and just snack my way through the race. 
  9. Things to do during the race:
    1. cheer for all of the teams.  Every time you pass a runner give them a shout out and honk the car horn.  It's really helpful to have others cheer you on, even if you don't know them.
    2. Support your runner.  Just because a leg says "no support" does not mean you cannot stop the van every mile or two and watch as your runner passes.  During our last Ragnar it was very hot, we were not allowed to support several of our runners during extremely hot legs, but we did manage to roll bottles of water across the road to them as they passed by (Natalie has mad water bowling skills).  I personally like it when my team meets me every couple of miles.  It gives me something to look forward to and we can all keep track of each other.
  10. Things to pack:
    1. Baby wipes.  Showers aren't always a possibility so wipe yourself down (and encourage the rest of your van to do the same)
    2. Sunscreen.
    3. Bug spray (a necessity in Minnesota)
    4. Chap stick
    5. Toothbrush and paste
    6. Body glide (keep those parts that rub from rubbin' raw)
    7. 2nd skin or moleskin (I've never had to use it but several of my teammates have)
    8. Cowbell...your teammates and other teams will love it
    9. Pillow and a blanket (or small sleeping bag), a tent if you have a small one (not necessary) or a tarp (also not necessary but we had a big on on our last race and all 6 of us slept under it while it rained.  It was perfect.
    10. Personal things you may need like contact solution, glasses, medications, etc.
So that's basically all I can think of that isn't exactly in the race bible.

Remember, running is a 95% mental.  If you think you can do a Ragnar you can do a Ragnar.  Don't let it scare you.  Just go out, have fun and finish.

-Carrie

No comments: